Customers have been really loving the convenience of HTML access in Horizon View. This provides a full desktop experience to a web browser with just HTML5 and no plugins, java, flash, etc required. Very handy for users in many scenarios. As of the time of this writing, there are some important features in the GUI client that are not available to HTML access.
Here is the functionality you get when using HTML access:
- RSA SecurID and RADIUS authentication
- Single SignOn to the desktop
- Blast display protocol
Here is the functionality you do not get when using HTML access:
- Printing from the virtual desktop
- Clipboard support (copying from the endpoint to/from the clipboard in the VM)
- USB device mapping
- RDP protocol
- PCoIP Protocol (HTML uses the Blast Protocol)
- Smart Cards
- Multiple monitors
- Local Mode
For more information you can refer to the HTML Access User’s Guide. VMware is constantly adding features to View and I expect this list to change. I will try to revise this article as things change. If I am outdated in my information, please comment and I’ll get it updated.